Here is a setting of the extracted text where I have tried to connect all the words I've chosen from Poe to make into a drinking song for the chorus which has phrases of equal length. Below is a picture of an extract from the piece and below that is a link to the pdf of the full score.
Click HERE for the pdf copy.
I'm attempting to find poetic couplings in the original text and freely adapting them to create some kind of meter. Below I have colour coded which lines might similar in poetic character and, anything in red, are lines I have decided I don't need and I'm cutting.
following on from the task in the last blog post where I was trying to extract enough from the original story to make a libretto. I, this week, am trying to extract enough from the original text to make something lyrical enough to be an aria. Again you will see me trying to reduce the amount of words by cutting out the parallelism.
In order to have some text to work with I have tried to extract phrases or words from the original short story. The original is very (over) descriptive so i was cherry picking the strongest words and, had been pointed out to be by Nigel in a supervision Poe is using "parallelism" as a means of driving his point home. Meaning instead of one descriptive word he will list three, so the challenge was finding the 'best' words. I also had to try and find words which might be connected as line endings, if not exactly rhyming. Below is an example of how I marked up the story to extract the words I thought would 'sing well'.